1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey there user!

Seems like you are not logged in... You can log in here. If you haven't signed up yet, you are welcome to do so here. See you soon, and happy reading!

3. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) agreement

We would like to inform you that we have updated our Terms Of Usage in order to fully comply with GDPR. You can read our Terms Of Usage here.

Please note that by dismissing this notice you are confirming the agreement to our Terms Of Usage.

If you do not comply with your Terms Of Usage you are prohibited from using any services provided by TowerNetwork community which includes, but is not limited to, community Forums and Minecraft server.

Dismiss Notice

NEW SURVIVAL - End of an era

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by HandsomeGent, Feb 11, 2018.

1. HandsomeGent

HandsomeGent New Member

2018-02-18_22.10.29.png

Hello everyone! It has come apparent to us over the past few months that our survival is in desperate need of a clean up. It's been over a year since our last new world, and we think it's for the best to part ways. We plan on a floor to ceiling revamp of how Survival runs and how you get to play it. New spawn, new plugins, new features, new shop, and finally: a new world. A complete restart of Tower Network survival is coming your way March 1st. More info will come soon detailing what new features we plan on adding.

The existing survival world will be online till March 17th 11:59 PM. Don't be sad though, we plan on having Survival go out with a bang! (Pun intended) We will announce more details soon once they get worked out. :)

We hope this restart is not just a change for Survival, but for Tower Network as a whole. With our new logo. we're striving to clean up all aspects of our server to deliver a unified Tower Network playing experience. We hope you're as excited as we are about the future of Tower Network, and that you'll stay see the changes.

New TN, here we come.

-HandsomeGent
    (Admin)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    #1 HandsomeGent, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  2. Cody Hefty

Cody Hefty Member
    Donator

Can we get more details about the new survival and what is getting cleaned up? I don't understand how a fresh logo is going to drastically change the server. I personally loved the current world and the latest overworld expansion is still 90% untouched. Also sad to see my creations go... a server should have more than 1 year lifespan. I just joined a month ago. How would you guys feel if your weeks of focused work on the new server was scheduled to be nullified in 28 days? Feels bad man.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. HandsomeGent

HandsomeGent New Member

Cody, I hear where you're coming from. However, everything on Survival needs to be redone. The world is old: This world I believe ran on 1.9 and many of the player's and their builds have long been inactive and abandoned. The economy and shop is way out of proportion: It's time for everyone to start over as many iterations of the shop and staff styles have led to a not fair / balanced economy. Outdated plugins: Survival is in desperate need of a full revision of all of our plugins to see which ones can be replaced with better ones, as well as adding new ones. We really need this complete, fresh restart. This has been delayed since last January of 2017, and it shows. There is no easy way or right time to announce a restart. We've been pushing it back, pushing it back, pushing it back, to the point it is now. Some players have played since the last restart, some just joined last week. And you're right, a new logo won't change the server. We're using this as a motive to finally fix TowerNetwork and make everything clean and organized. To be blunt, the server still looks and runs how it did 2 years ago. We plan on this new survival to be around for over a year, as it will be done right. If you have any more feedback / suggestions, please leave them below or just message them to us. We really appreciate it.

4. Cody Hefty

Cody Hefty Member
    Donator

I heard there's a new aquatic update coming to Minecraft in Q2 2018, so hopefully within a few months. Will the new survival be upgrade-able to the new aquatic update when it arrives? If not, would it make more sense to wait for the aquatic update since so much will surely change then anyway?

1.13 Technical / Aquatic Updates :

Technical Changes :

- Remove Ghost Block
    - Oxygen no longer regenerate instantly when out of water
    - Whenever you grew a 2x2 Dark Oak Tree, it'll generate Podzol all over it
    - Levers now provide red particles when turned on
    - Added Recipe Book for Fuel
    - New Swimming Animation when sprinting in the water
    - Chest can be separated without turning it to double chest by sneak placing it.
    - Squid will shoot ink to defend itself when being attacked by players
    - Item Frame can be placed in the bottom and on the ceiling
    - Horse Model Tweaking
    - Mobs can no longer control Minecart while riding it
    - The End Island now have separated Biome Name [Floating Island , Barren Island , Medium Island , High Island, etc]

New Mob / Entity :

- Phantom *Attracted to insomnia *Spawned in the End & Overworld *Size Data Value
    - Turtles *Zombies will kill the Baby Turtle *Can be lured using Sea Grass *Lay eggs on their home beach *Can be breed using Raw Fish and it'll do cool dance moves
    - Roaming Fish ❌
    - Dolphin ❌

New Items :

- Sea Grass
    - Kelp
    - Dried Kelp *Stored half a bar of hunger *Can be eaten with twice the speed of normal foods
    - Crute [Baby turtle will drop it's shell when it's became an adult]
    - Turtle Egg *It can only grow on warm beach biome *Can be break using Silk Touch Enchantment *Mobs and Players can jump on the egg to break it *4 Eggs can be placed in one block at once *The Crack texture will appear to indicate it is hatching *Baby Turtle will head to the ocean once it was hatched *Zombies will jump on its egg to destroy it
    - Trident
    - Pumpkin *Can be carved with shears
    - Debug Stick
    - Turtle Shell Helmet

New Blocks :

- Dried Kelp Block *Can be used as fuel and smelt up to 20 Items
    - Stripped Log [All Wood Type]
    - Bark Block [All Wood Type]
    - Smooth Block [Stone & Sandstone]

New Blocks Varients :

- Slabs [Prismarine Varients]
    - Stairs [Prismarine Varients]
    - Buttons , Pressure Plates & Trapdoors [All Wood Type]

New Mechanic Chages :

- Items now float on water
    - Plants , Slabs , Stairs can be flowed through waters
    - Added Water Columns *Created with Magma Block in contact with Water *It will make entities sink [Exclude Turtles] *Boats will start rocking and then sink underwater *It provide air columns when made in contact
    - Soulsand Underwater will make Entities float

New Biome / Structures :

- Warm & Cold Beach ❌
    - Shipwreck [Different varients and have loots] ❌
    - Iceberg ❌
    - Underwater Ravines ❌

New Enchantment / Potion :

- Potion Of The Turtle Master [Brewed with Turtle Shell Helmet]
    - Loyalty [I - III] *Makes the Trident come back after being thrown *Higher Enchant makes it faster to come back
    - Riptide [I - III] *Makes you move forward when thrown *Only works while swimming or in the rain *Higher Enchant makes how far forward you'll end up
    - Impaling [I - V] *Will increase the damage of the Trident
    - Channeling *Will called out lightning when thrown during thunderstorm

Json files :

- Custom Crafting
    - Custom Fuel
    - Custom World Generation [WIP]
    - Custom Enderman on what it's holding
    - Improved Data Packs [Which means it's easier to create more varients of Slabs, Stairs and more!]

Command Changes :

- Custom BossBar
    - Timeset Noon
    - Facing Command

#4 Cody Hefty, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  5. pim

pim Moderation Team Member
    Staff Member Helper

The aquatic update has a LOT of featurers that havent been put in a snapshot yet, and the devs are tweeting more out. So if we need to wait till those featurers come out as log as we did with turtles, its gonna take long. Also its the aquatic update and the water macanic update in one version. The aquatic update was planned for 1.14, that gives twice as much content and maby twice as much glitches. And that could be breaking for a well balenced multiplayer server. So its gonna the a while for 1.13. And it to be bugless. Also a thing to remind is that the water macanics will be diferent so some redstone stuff is gonna break and waterbases are going to get filled with water

6. Cody Hefty

Cody Hefty Member
    Donator

Right, it doesn't seem like a new server in March will be compatible with the future changes, whenever they are released. But knowing that they will probably arrive by the end of this year means whatever changes are made now would basically be outdated by then. Sure there will be bugs with the new stuff, but if TN wants to pick a good time to renew itself, I bet that will be a huge peak of returning players interested to play on servers that are running that new update. Seems if a new server comes out now it will just be reset in 1 year or lose popularity to the new 1.13 servers when they come out within 1 year.

7. HandsomeGent

HandsomeGent New Member

Cody, I've heard that Update Aquatic will be available for previous worlds. There were reasons us and many other servers didn't update to 1.12, it's cause the build was crap and made servers run like crap. Not only that, plugins needed to be updated to fix 1.13 as well. You don't see many servers pick up the new update for a few months. If plugins line up and there is no change to the 1.12 world, we'll gladly implement it. However, if we wait for it, it could take another half of a year.

8. Cody Hefty

Cody Hefty Member
    Donator

Could the shop fixes, plugins, and whatnot be adjusted without resetting the world?

I've never played MC before and this was my first server so I'm sure there's a lot about the game, multiplayer and certainly server hosting that I just don't understand. It doesn't seem likely that a world will be able to accommodate the 1.13/14 updates without being reset. The changes to water mechanics will affect a lot of people's builds as pim said. But how will a server be able to generate the new biomes without resetting the world? They're adding 4 new biomes and changing the way some current ones are technically generated.

9. Cody Hefty

Cody Hefty Member
    Donator

I've seen that you can selectively roll back certain sections of the server. You could delete the old abandoned clutter if that is the problem (or leave it, cause I kind of like coming across ruins as I explore). You could reset mineshafts, mansions, fortresses, end ships, etc. You could change the shop. You could wipe the player balances and reset the economy. So much could be done to improve the server without resetting the world. But I guess at that point you might as well wipe it all.

To be honest I've been saving cool items for the chance that you do crack down and change things. I have no concept of what is fair or not, but this server did end up being way easier to play through than single player. I joined for a survival experience that my RL friend and I could play through together. The flying, godly privileges of ranked players, hard-to-obtain items for cheap in the shop, bountiful wealth of generous players showering me in free tools, etc. kind of cheesed the minecraft experience for me. My friend is used to playing hardcore so he really disliked all the perks.

I'm sure there's no way to please everyone, and that's why so many servers exist. But some changes I would like to see is a separation of the creative from the survival. All of the those special perks I mentioned just make the survival game too easy. No one online is grouping together to actually survive or try to raid a dungeon or something. Everyone's basically a god and just gathering resources to create their own projects. Blaze spawners apparently being the most valued resource as people just flew through the nether like it's nothing and stripped all the fortresses. A casual, f2p minecrafter basically has no chance to play or compete with these perked up players. It's two separate player bases and there's no challenge to inspire teamwork. The most dangerous enemy is clear-lag.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. HandsomeGent

HandsomeGent New Member

All of these reasons you stated are why we need a reset. Many on the server are gods and for any real survival change to be made, it's time to reset.

11. pim

Staff Member Helper

When i joined (4 months ago) their was a seeable end on survival. One off the goddest god is mocart he got 17mil on one time and he had like a 300x300 base, with EVRYTHING automated. their was nothing left to do but build stuff on your own OR help new people. If you want to survival togeter explor and raid dungions you need dungons.

12. Cody Hefty

Cody Hefty Member
    Donator

(Video of yesterday's new snapshot)
    Looks like things are moving pretty quickly. This all in the past 3 months since their announcement. Could possibly be released on time in the next few months.

Any new info on next week's new survival? What's changing? I have loads of suggestions to make it harder / more fair, but they almost all involve restricting the perks of the ranked players. If some people are going to have villager eggs, infinite flying, thousands of claim blocks, 5x more /homes, etc. then it'll only be a week or two before the economy and player base is forever unbalanced again.

13. pim

Staff Member Helper

1st. Its not about when 1.13/1.14 comes out, but when its bugless (1.12.2 wasnt thats why the survival isnt 1.12.2 atm)
    2nd. We (the whole staff team) have come with some good ideas and solutions for the economy/how much pay to win the server is. So be hyped about the new survival its gonna be great.

14. Cody Hefty

Cody Hefty Member
    Donator

Ok, that's great for the people who were ready for a reset. Still kind of stings for me. I'm sure the new survival will be awesome, but that will just make it sting even more when it's due for a reset or becomes irrelevant to 1.13/14. You guys are saying the server will go for at least 1 year and I'll trust that. But to me, logically, the popularity could drop much earlier than that if 1.13 becomes playable and popular within the next year. I see you guys regret not upgrading to 1.12 a lot sooner; I assume you'd also regret not upgrading to 1.13 ASAP.

So if 1.13 comes out in... May and plugin support catches up in... August, that's only 6 months from March 1st. 1.13/14 looks like it will make a much bigger impact on the game than 1.12, so I think the potential gains/loss from upgrading ASAP would be even more dramatic. I'm just thinking from business side, more current content = more players = more donations = better server. Not capitalizing on that could leave this server in the same place it is now in 12 months - outdated and abandoned.

At this point I'm not really complaining that the server is getting reset, it'll balance things as much as possible for now. It's just that survival takes time and it feels kinda unpromising to restart a huge time commitment that I might just restart again in 6 months. Then again, a lot of people will be wanting to restart with the new content anyway. I think this server could get a lot out of thinking ahead to 1.13. Bug-free 1.13 should be an intentional expiration date for the new survival no matter how soon it comes.

15. pim

Staff Member Helper

The problem is that we had a pritty standerd player base of 15-20 people. But they all went cuz their was nothing to do, we'r not saying that we wont update. It will only take a while and if we dont update now evryone is just gonna leave exept for like 10 or so new players. Update now, and the people are more likely to come back. And becous they are here (tn) longer, more likely to donate. Believe me i love turtle, and as much i i would love to see them in this community. They gotta w8 a while.
    We also gotta keep our promeses to the players and the builders.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Perrvall Causti

Perrvall Causti New Member

Not needed xD some servers still go 1.8

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cody Hefty

Cody Hefty Member
    Donator

What's not needed? More players? More donations?

Why do some servers still go 1.8? Seems more relevant to the populated servers that need to retain swaths of old players. Nothing for TN to lose by upgrading.